Click the sport icon below to learn more about what Gahanna Special Olympics offers!
Head Coach: Liz Lonsbrough
Where: Gahanna YMCA – 555 YMCA Pl.
Prerequisite: Athlete must know how to swim prior to starting training with GSO. GSO does not provide swim lessons.
Competitions: Swimming has one qualifying meet and the state competition.
- ATHLETES MUST QUALIFY UPPER ARLINGTON MEET TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SUMMER GAMES:
- Upper Arlington Swim Meet (Upper Arlington High School Columbus, OH) – Early to Mid-November
- State Aquatics Meet (Ohio State University) – Early December
Events: GSO trains and competes in a number of Aquatics events. Typical events include (but are not limited to):
- 25M Freestyle
- 50M Freestyle
- 50M Backstroke
- 25M Fly
- 100M Fly
- 100M Breaststroke
- 200M Backstroke
- 4x25M Medley Relay
- 4x25M Freestyle Relay
- 25M Back Stroke
- Spring – Individual Bowling
- Fall – Team Bowling
Where: Gahanna Lanes – 215 W Johnstown Rd, Columbus, OH 43230
- Spring – Individual Bowling:
- Area Bowling Tournament – Mid-March
- Sectional Bowling Tournament – Mid-April
- Fall – Team Bowling
- Area Bowling Tournament
- Sectional Bowling Tournament
- Area Basketball Individual Skills Tournament – Mid-Feb
- State Basketball Tournament – Late-March
Program Leader: Jennifer Hansen
When: Spring through Fall
Where: Dreams on Horseback – 1416 Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd. Blacklick, Ohio 43004
- GSO partners with Dreams on Horseback to offer the equestrian program. Some riding experience is required and the size of the program is limited.
- Dreams on Horseback Horse Show Qualifier– Late April/ Early May
- State Equestrian Competition – Mid August
Track and Field
- Gahanna Middle School West 350 N. Stygler Rd.
- OR Middle School East – 730 Clotts Rd.
Competitions: Track & Field has two qualifying meets and the state Summer Games tournament.
- ATHLETES MUST QUALIFY AT ONE OF THE TWO MEETS BELOW TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SUMMER GAMES:
- Denison Meet (Denison University, Granville, OH) – Late April/Early May
- Columbus Classic (Whetstone High School Columbus, OH) – Early May
- State Summer Games (Ohio State University) – Late June
Events: GSO trains and competes in a number of track and field (throwing) events. Typical events include (but are not limited to):
- 25M Independent Walk
- 25M Wheelchair Race
- 50M Dash
- 100M Dash
- 4×100 Relay
- Soft-ball Throw
- Standing Long Jump
- Can my athlete participate in different events if attending both qualifying meets?
- Yes, this is actually preferred. For example, if your athlete competes in softball throw at Denison and mini-javelin at The Columbus Classic, they will be able to choose between these events to compete in for Summer Games. If they only compete in softball throw at one or both meets, they will only be able to compete in softball throw at Summer Games.